Friday 7 June 2013

The Start of Something New...

The Start of Something New...


Well, I've been thinking about doing a blog for a while now and I've finally persuaded myself to do it, and what better thing to do it on than the wonderful world of cakes! It also means I have an excuse to spend some time making yummy cakes (and eating them, of course). 

So here's the cake that I made yesterday for my nan and grandad's silver wedding anniversary:


To get the round shape of the cake I used a hemisphere cake pan (purchased from Lakeland) and filled it to about two thirds with a sponge mixture and popped it in the oven for about half an hour. 

I'm new to cake making so I thought it would be a good idea to use roll out icing as I don't quite trust myself at this stage to make my own fondant icing, but I'll get there! So I covered the board with green icing and measured how big the cake would be so that I could decorate the board with the butterflies and flowers (which were moulded using plungers).  


Once the cake was cool, I positioned it onto the board and placed the red icing on top of it. It was easier  since I had already cut it down into a circle so I could just position and mould it on top. I then cut out a strip of black icing to create the look of wings and a semi circle for the head. Using cookie cutters, I made the spots and eyes for the ladybird.


I also made cupcakes and cake pops but, with the excitement of this cake, I completely forgot to take photos. Hopefully next time I'll remember to include the extra cakes and take better photos!


Ps. Thanks to Helen Petty (http://aboutanail.blogspot.co.uk/) for the idea to make a blog. By snooping through her beautiful page it gave me the inspiration I needed to create my own. Thank you also to Sophie Renwick as her ladybird design was so pretty that it made me want to do a similar design. 

1 comment: